Need for Common Core State Standards
Posted on: August 27, 2012
Prior to the adoption of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), every state had its own set of academic standards, meaning students in each state were learning at different levels. The CCSS ensures a more seamless education for high mobility students. All students must be prepared to compete with not only their American peers in the next state, but with students from around the world.
- Are aligned with college and work expectations
- Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills
- Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards
- Are internationally benchmarked so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society
- Are based on evidence and research
Click on links below to watch a video highlighting the initiaitve and the CCSS website.
Category: College and Career Readiness