Florida Department of Education Puts Money Back in Teachers’ Pockets with Fee Cut
Author: Florida Department of Education
Posted on: March 22, 2019
This story was originally posted on the Florida Department of Education’s website. View it here.
On March 19, the Florida State Board of Education voted to lower first-time and re-take registration fees for certification exams that are required to earn a teaching certificate, effective April 22, 2019. This announcement comes on the heels of Governor Ron DeSantis recommending $423 million to reward more than 40,000 teachers with nearly $10,000 bonuses.
“This is great news for Florida teachers and the families who rely on them to provide high quality education in classrooms throughout our state. We will continue working to ensure the right policies are in place to enable our students to succeed,” Governor Ron DeSantis said.
“Today’s announcement is another example of Governor DeSantis making tremendous changes to transform K-12 education in Florida. He continues to fight for making sure our school children have the best teachers in the nation in their classrooms,” Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran said.
A sample of the fee reductions are listed below:
• Registration to retake one of the four General Knowledge subtests will drop from $150 to $32.50;
• First-time registration for all subject area exams will drop from $200 to $150, and retakes will drop from $220 to $150;
• First–time registration for the full battery of Prekindergarten/Primary or Elementary Education tests will drop from $200 to $150;
• Registration to retake one of the Prekindergarten/Primary or Elementary Education subtests will drop from $150 to $37.50;
• Registration to retake two of the Prekindergarten/Primary or Elementary Education subtests will drop from $200 to $75;
• Registration to retake three of the Prekindergarten/Primary or Elementary Education subtests will drop from $220 to $112.50; and
• Registration to retake the full battery of Prekindergarten/Primary or Elementary Education subtests will drop from $220 to $150.
For more information about the fee reduction, visit Florida Teacher Certification Exam Rule Amendment (PDF).